Mounting Pit Shimizu 0571 / 0572 on FGX Wheels
FGX Wheel Modifications for the F104 Shimizu Racing (PS-0572) or Tamiya (1032) Tires
The FGX wheel diameter is too small to mount the F104 Shimizu tire; the gap between the wheel and tire is 2.5mm. I found that a sink mat is 2.5mm thick and is made out of rubber. This process is perfect for the project and this method can be applied to the front wheels as well.
Here are the things you need:
1. Sinkworks 36660 Small Sink Mat, Black
2. FGX Rear Wheel (FGX-121)
3. F104 Shimizu Racing (PS-0572) or Tamiya (1032) racing tires
4. Super glue “Thin”
5. Curved lexan scissors
Cut the rubber mat:
Length: 132mm “Trim as needed”.
Remove the dimples with a razor blade.
The FGX Rear Wheel (FGX-121)
1. The FGX wheel is wider than the F104 wheel. You need to trim the bottom of the wheel with the curved lexan scissors to the wheel lip (I used the wheel lip as a guide).
2. Remove the wheel lips with curved lexan scissors
I used the curved lexan scissors to cut the wheel lips and then I mounted it to the tire truer. I then smoothed it out after it was mounted. I made 4 3mm holes to vent.
The rubber strip is jointed with super glue.
The rubber strip is mounted to the wheel; remove the masking tape after the glue is dry.
The tire liner is joined with the masking tape.
Tire mounted to the wheel and glued; backside look.
Tire mounted to the wheel and glued; frontside look.
1. FGX wheel with Shimizu Racing (PS-0572) or Tamiya (1032) weight; 40 grams.
2) F104 wheel with Shimizu Racing (PS-0572) or Tamiya (1032) weight; 40 grams.
Article and modifications by Calvin Lee.